17 March, 2008

Touch Me and I'll Run Away

A week ago my daughter's boyfriend bought her a new laptop. In theory, it's better than my desktop and also cost more. Twice as much RAM, multi-core ... but the in-built graphics STINK. Anything more than a teeny-weeny picture and it gets so hot and bothered I could brown toast on the heat coming out of it.

However, that isn't the point. Said daughter has gone away for a couple of weeks and didn't need to take the laptop, so I thought I'd try it out. Well, talk about a palaver. What on earth is that touchpad thing that pretends it's a mouse? No way could I control it. The arrow was going all over the screen and half the time my finger was at the bottom of the pad before the arrow got anywhere near halfway down the screen. I almost threw the thing out of the window. It took me ten minutes to close all the programs that opened automatically. Would have taken less than ten seconds on my desktop.

I never did like the idea of laptops anyway (can think of better things to have resting on my knee), but now I am totally convinced ... computers belong on a desk.

Google Mood Ring (Green):Steady, stable, no emotional turmoil

No comments: