30 September, 2004

I am Not Really Me, But I am Me Really

If my profile looks different today, it's because it's not the same profile. The old one is still in the system, but this is a brand-new one, with a number beginning with 4 instead of 1. There is a reason for this.

I first joined back in August 2003, but I only posted two entries. I didn't even understand how the system worked and I ended-up with a blog called "Watch That Dinosaur" or something equally silly, when it was meant to be the entry title. Both entries vanished off the face of the earth quicker than dinosaurs and I doubt very much that anybody visited them. It all seemed very silly to me so I went away and didn't come back until this September, when I started this blog and deleted the old one.

Because I'd joined a year previously, it meant that although I was posting like crazy and had at least an average of one post a day (more than that when I first started), my profile showed me as having joined a year previously and having an average of 0 per day (well it would, seeing as theoretically I'd been here around 400 days and had only posted a handful of entries). I realised I would have to be here for months on end to get an average of even one a week.

I didn't like this at all, it made me look as if I had nothing to say, when in fact the opposite is true (most of the time, even I have my quiet moments - it's called "sulking"). So, I contacted the nice Support people to see if they could alter the date, but apparently it isn't possible. They said the only way to do anything about it was to rejoin under a new name, invite myself to join, then delete the old name, or something like that.

I got very confused with all this and I didn't want to delete my old name in case my blogs disappeared, so I gave up. Then it started annoying me again, so I contacted the nice Support people again (for about the twentieth time, I think) and finally someone sent me a helpful idiot guide. This meant I had to change my original name to something else, then rejoin completely under my original name (which I could use again because of course it was now something else), then delete my old name.

Of course, I'm not daft (oh no I'm not), so I knew that I would need to copy out all my profile info so I could paste it into the new one. Now I need to write five posts as quickly as possible because none of my posts are showing, they're all on the old profile, because theoretically they were written by someone else, except really of course it was me. And the old profile has no blogs on it, because the old me doesn't have those blogs anymore, the new me does.

The main problem is that the profiles aren't updating properly (well, they haven't been for a while), so there is no information at all on mine as to when I joined or how many average posts I've done or anything, so I have no idea if that aspect of it is working or not. Maybe I need to post something for it to kick-in, so here we go ... (fingers crossed).

1 comment:

Freddy said...

* confused look on my face- mouth wide open- scratching my head.*