02 October, 2004

I've Got Crabs!

I've just been checking my site stats and I noticed that someone had been directed to this site after entering "hermits - crab" in Google. This site is 18th out of 111,000 for "hermits - crab", putting it on the second page of results, which is amazing considering it's only been here five minutes.

Even more amazing is the fact that this site has absolutely nothing to do with "hermits - crab". I have a feeling I may have mentioned them once, but I could be getting confused with hermit thrushes. There's no mention of crabs in my keywords, either.

What people enter in Google has always amazed me. I have an article on my website entitled Talk Dirty To Me and you'd be surprised how many people enter exactly those words into search engines. Why would anyone ask a search engine to "talk dirty" to them? What do they expect it to say?

I always try to choose titles that search engines will like, ones that the people using search engines will look for. It's always a good idea to have a few pieces dotted around that can include keywords connected with sex in your metatags, because they're always the ones that get searched on the most. Titles are important for the same reason, because search engines use those a lot as well.

I don't know whether the person searching for "hermits - crab" stayed long on my site, but I hope they enjoyed their visit. Chances are if they'd entered the more obvious "crabs - hermit" (or even more obvious, just "hermit crabs") they would never have been sent here.

STOP PRESS
I've since discovered that I'm also 17th out of 159,000 for "hermits" on its own, so maybe Google sort of ignored the bit about the crabs. Probably just as well.

1 comment:

PC Bloggs said...

What amazes me is that there are 159,000 hits for "hermit"