08 September, 2004

Fading Out and Fading In

Coping with hormones that are disappearing at a rate of knots is not an easy task. Coping with said hormones whilst living with an adolescent daughter whose hormones are just starting to appear is ten times worse.

Mother Nature has always been a classic example of irony as an art form and she's really been to town on me this last year or so. My daughter entered pre-adolescence at around the same time I left pre-menopause and about the time I finally accepted that I wasn't going to have anymore periods, my daughter had her first. Not that I mind not having periods, it's just that when they stop you realise that you are on the last lap of life. There's nothing left except old age and that's one hell of a scary thought.

The symptoms I am experiencing now are very similar to those I experienced during my pregnancies and this applies to the physical, emotional and mental. For a start, I've become increasingly bovine of late and can't remember simple things for longer than a few minutes, something I suffered terribly from during pregnancy. I'm also far moodier than usual, which means my menopausal moods are vying with my daughter's adolescent moods to see which are the moodiest. It's just as well I'm partnerless at the moment or the poor man would have run away anyway.

In my opinion, everything comes far too early. What is the point of girls starting their periods when they are only twelve? How many twelve-year-old girls want to have babies and even if they do, how many twelve-year-old girls could cope with a baby? How many twelve-year-old girls want to mess about with periods every month for that matter? My daughter has only had two so far and during the second she announced "I'm fed-up with this". Well, I had news for her - I told her she had around another forty years' worth of the things to go yet.

The menopause also comes too early. Both these things should start around a decade later, which would put an end to unwanted teenage pregnancies in one fell swoop and allow woman to keep their youthful looks and vitality long enough for them to be able to fully enjoy their freedom once their kids have left home.

Now, if I just knew who to contact to arrange for this to take place with immediate effect, I could wake-up tomorrow looking and feeling in my prime and raring to go, with a daughter who still wore Laura Ashley dresses, frilly white ankle socks and black patent leather shoes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love your idea of moving the beginning and the end ten years. Hmmmm. I too wonder who can be contacted to make this happen.

Markykins