23 September, 2004

A Mysterious Cup of Tea

The comment on my last entry from Freddy, alias Angry Old Man, led me to visit his blog, where I left a comment on his article Blackpool Illuminations.

In this comment I mentioned that the three old sisters who used to live next-door when I was a kid used to go to Blackpool Illuminations every year. These old ladies also used to go on mystery tour coach trips almost every Sunday afternoon throughout the summer and once a year they went away for a week on a sort of Mystery Tour collection holiday.

One year, the day after they'd gone away on their weekly Mystery Tour, my mother suddenly commented that she could hear noises coming from their house. We all listened and sure enough, we could hear them too. They seemed to be coming from the kitchen mainly and sounded like someone banging crockery about.

My mother sent my father round to investigate, although he wasn't really keen on the idea and said he felt it was more a job for the Police. After a few minutes he came back, grinning all over his face and saying we'd all been invited next-door for a cup of tea.

If you haven't guessed by now, the Mystery Tour the three old sisters went on that particular day ended-up in their own home town of all places. As they didn't fancy a trip round their own home town very much (something this lady will understand very well), they left the coach party and nipped home for a quick cuppa.

2 comments:

Freddy said...

Same thing happened to my mother in law. went to Scarbro for the week a few years ago, went on mystery tour and ended up in Holmfirth, Last of the summer Wine country. She only lives 3 miles away and does all her shopping in Holmfirth. We chuckled about that one.

Just Me said...

The joys of mystery tours and the 'luminations. I remember my parents loved visited cathedrals too. Goodness knows why because they weren't in the least bit religious. I've seen York minster so many times I think I could walk round the place blindfolded and give the tour guides a run for their money! :)
You've changed your blog name again I notice; I looked hermits up in the dictionary and apparently it means either a recluse or some kind of spiced cookie. *grin*